Chill out.

16 Nov

All I really need from a refrigerator is cold food. Turns out there are 819 million ways to keep the food cold. Side-by-side, French doors, freezer, classic freezer on top, freezer on bottom and then there’s the whole cubic feet thing… Ashley looked at me and said, “Do you even know what cubic feet are?” Not exactly. But usually more is more when it comes to all things numbers.

Last night in our pursuit of the perfect refrigerator I said, “Ashley, let’s just pick one based upon the handles—whichever handle we like best is what we get.” Samsung has the best handles—that is our conclusion. I sure hope Samsung can keep the food cold.

I prefer the freezer on bottom—and not because French doors are all the rage. I use the freezer less and so I’d rather have it at my feet and what I’m really using on a daily basis at eye level. I have an aversion to side-by-sides. However, the price is right on side-by-sides. My deal with side-by-sides is that I feel like everything is crammed in and they get junky fast.

Please look at my sister—she really got into this. She was enamored with refrigerator depth so much so that she almost got in. I did not warn her that she would be on the blog so she did not dress for success. I said, “Ashley. You are in medical school and you keep people asleep during surgery every day. You can wear what you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. If anybody has anything to say about your lounge wear just look at them and say, “Do you know what I did today?” I digress. And she can wear what she wants to shop for refrigerators with me. So we looked at all the freezer-on-the-bottom models and my preference for them did not change. But I found a ridiculous deal on a Samsung side-by-side and I’d rather spend money on the range than the refrigerator.

It’s the handles. She likes the handles.

When it comes to dishwashers Julie and her mom have both claimed that Bosch makes the very best dishwasher. I am going to go with their counsel on this and get a Bosch.

We also looked at washers and dryers which I care less about because they will be hidden in the basement at the bottom of a painted staircase. I threatened to get a washer that takes quarters but everyone knows all of my threats are empty. I don’t know why I bother.

If you have an appliance recommendation or warning, speak up. I’m making this decision this week. No kidding. The decisiveness washes over me as I type.

About these ads

15 Responses to “Chill out.”

1. Brittney Mc November 16, 2010 at 9:49 am #

milele dishwashers are even better then bosch! meile’s hve these awesome cutlery trays, and dry really well. both are insanely quiet–so quiet my moms bosch has an annoying alarm to let you know its done. loving my new samsung fridge and range so far.

2. Leigh Ann November 16, 2010 at 10:09 am #

I’ve heard from others that Maytag washing machines are no longer desirable. They used to be the best but several people have told me that their repair men told they are not putting out quality right now. FYI

3. Aunt Pat November 16, 2010 at 11:09 am #

I love your choice in refrigerators. I really enjoy my side by side. I also love the fact that Ashley lives close enough to you that you can shop together.

4. Candy November 16, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Amy–I loved the quietness of my Bosch dishwasher BUT expect quite a bit of condensation AND if something goes wrong with it, it can be costly. Be sure to extend your service policy every renewal period.

5. Ashley November 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Get freezer on bottom – they were all so similar. Or get the one and only side by side that we actually liked. The price is right.

I love the pic of you with the laudromat washer. I dare you to get one. We can keep a bucket of quarters next to the washer.

P.S. I’m not in medical school!

• aj November 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Dear Little Baby Sister Whom I Love More Than My Own Life:

It’s really not “medical school” but since you are about to graduate from a school of anesthesiology which involves medicine I assumed this was a safe statement. “Nurse anesthetist school” didn’t roll off the tongue the same way medical school did. Either way this makes you a very smart and talented woman who shares my feelings about refrigerators and dishwashers and all manner of appliances. I heart you. :) Totally.

6. DARA GATES November 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

Miele DW are the best! But whatever you decide, make sure the heating element is covered or you will have lots of melted plastic. LG top load and its matching dryer are rated well. Don’t buy a side-by-side refrig/freezer. Lots of stuff won’t fit. Refrig on top with either pull out drawer or door that opens for freeze on bottom.

7. Kristen November 17, 2010 at 8:48 am #

I’m so on the edge of my chair waiting for your next house update. I love this! I can’t imagine what it must be like for you!

8. sunny November 17, 2010 at 11:24 am #

so washing machines…believe it or not, this treehugger is going to tell you not to get an HE. yes, they are better for the earth, but not great at getting clothes clean.. I’ll grant you that we are pretty rough and tumble at my house, so that might be more important to me, but still… they aren’t so fab. My customers repeatedly complain about them, as we talk laundry ALOT. Most people I tak to aren’t huge fans. I will be the last woman standing with an old school washer. And with both washer and dryer, bigger is better. get a monster one if you can. My next one will be HUGE. who cares if its pretty?

9. libby @ ninesandquines November 17, 2010 at 11:32 am #

the only apprehension i will give you on the samsung french door/bottom freezer is this (talking from experience)…VERY small ice maker (if you have more than a couple of people over, be prepared to run out of ice or to have to buy a bag of ice – it takes a LONG time to regenerate). also, if it has the wide slide out drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator, it will not stay cold enough…get the one withOUT the wide slide out drawer…i currently have a side by side and hate it – freezer isn’t wide enough…

10. Brittney Mc November 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

really libby? i have a samsung french door and i am DROWING in ice. seriously. its making it like crazy. but i think there is alot of ice maker variation on them… mine has it in the bottom freezer and thats the one that churns it out. it also has a door one (overkill!) that I dont use so I don’t know how productive it is.

11. Brittney Mc November 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

oh oh oh i have an appliance tip. i just got mine a couple months ago. there is an awesome lowe’s coupon for people who have just moved. its some huge percentage off one item. But i think cause of hte way they ring things up there, i applied to both my appliances i bought. google lowes post office moving coupon and if you cant find it but want it i can dig out my bookmark from my laptop.

12. Shela-Lyn Boxberger November 18, 2010 at 8:01 am #

Recently bought 2 new dishwashers and LOVE LOVE LOVE them (I have 3 total in my home) – it has great cutlery trays, super deep and flexible trays for pots, pans or my husbands thirst buster cups, great silverware department (can’t stand small holes for silverware and hate it in the door!!) It is the top of the line GE profile and it does 1/2 loads for smaller loads which for a single person would be handy. I have owned ASKO, GE (all stainless top of the lines) and Whirlpool – and hands down I love the GE. My husband insists on staying away from the double drawer dishwashers (he has been a luxury home builder for years) and while they look pretty – all his clients complain about them as they only have one wash bar instead of two and dishes do not come out clean (and the drawers are sensitive and break often and easily) Hope my consumer reports have helped. :)

13. z November 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

you girls are so adorable.

(that’s all I have to say since this one I just looked at the pictures)

14. Denise Dunlap Billings April 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Hi again! Your sister knows my husband, Tom Billings (aka Boots). They both work at Vandy. I’m loving your painted stairs pics.